Friday, August 12, 2011

Adventures with my Favorite Little Kiddos!


Being the baby in the family, it is not all that often that I get to play older sister or "Auntie Gigi." For a long time, I feared, even DREADED being around little babies without my mom (the SUPER mom) to help chaperon. I figured, if they can't tell me why they are crying there's no WAY I'll be able to figure it out. I didn't like the feeding thing (too messy), wasn't so stoked on the diaper changing thing (too stinky), and was especially nervous about the burping thing (what? you need help burping?).

Needless to say, I was a little challenged in the whole 'caring for babies' department. Well, THAT was before my mom worked alongside and befriended her partner Amy, a true superhero mommy. Amy must be magical or something because she manages to carry her littlest bundle of joy, Koa (1 yr),  in one of those baby bjorn things while pushing a double stroller with Kai (4 yrs) and Leilani (2 yrs), without breaking a sweat and ALWAYS looking fab. 'How does she do it?' You ask! Sorry to tell ya, but I have no clue. The woman is AMAZE. 

Today, we all went to the OC fair, along with another little friend of mine: Princess Emma. Emma and I are new friends! She is VERY smart and reminds me a lot of a Donahue kid (very fair skin and hair with  just a hint of red :). I loved hanging with Emma! She told me today that she was so happy to be with me and Auntie Kelly. PRECIOUS!
                                   Me, Emma, and Lei on the Caterpillar ride (cool hair gi..reallly...)

Where I continually trip, though, is over Mr. Kai. Today Kai and I rode on a 'Big Kid' roller coaster! How did he get so grown up?!?! I remember one of the first times I watched Kai when he was a baby, (back when little kids were scarier to me than spiders, ahh!), my mom left us alone for just a quick minute to unload a few things out of the car. Kai Man began to cry (as all 1 yr olds do). My first reaction of course: panic! I tried everything. Cookies? Nope. Diaper change? Nope. Juice? Nope. He just cried and cried. So I did the thing all good (freaked out) aunties do...I CRIED TOO! hahaha!!! Mom came back in and found not one little baby balling, but two. She of course figured out whatever he needed. I was the one that really needed the consoling in the end. "I'm going to be a TERRIBLE AUNTIE and god forbid I ever have my own!!" So distraught. Well, after a few more dates with mr. kai, (thank goodness Ames trusted me to try again!), I learned lots of things about how to win over kids.

1. Keep Auntie Kelly around (she knows everything)
2. Don't freak out (they're like animals, they can sense your fear)
3. Give them TREASURES!
4. Sometimes we all just need a good nap
5. Cherish every moment, they grow up FAST!


                                    Leilani, Koa, and Kai in a family pic Matt and I took last fall <3

Anyway, the point is, while riding the dragon roller coaster with Mr. Kai, I realized life is too short! Kids grow up fast! I know next time I see Kai, Lei, and Koa, they'll all seem a foot taller and pretty soon they won't need Auntie Gi to go on the Big Kid roller coasters with them! Sad!! Just so glad I've gotten to know these precious kids! I love them all so much! Can't WAIT till I can be auntie Gi to Chris and Freddy's kiddos! By then, I'm sure I'll be a pro! or....at least I'll be able to change a diaper... :/











No comments:

Post a Comment